John 13:20 "Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me"

Hello Friends,

Today we did something a bit different, we split up in two different groups that went to LA Catholic Worker "The Hippy Kitchen" and Union Rescue Mission. Both were very fun places!!!!

At the Hippy Kitchen we prepared salad, beans and cut bread. Then we served the food, along with some hot tea and orange slices out in the garden where they ate. It was very rewarding to see how the food was prepared and then serve it to those receiving it and being able to interact with them. I, personally saw God while I was serving hot tea to people. Everyone loved that tea and I could see how the hot tea in the cold and rain made everyone's days better. Once one person had their tea, they got really happy and came back for more and everyone could feel that same joy and shared excitement over such a small thing.

For lunch I ate out in the garden with the people and sat next to a woman alone on a bench. I was able to spend time with her and asked her about how she got on skid row and what brought her here. Making that personal connection with someone I could tell really brightened her day up. She was so excited when I asked her her favorite color and her favorite food. Making these connections with people, is what I believe is the most important part of direct service, like this and I'm glad that I got to share in that.


The Union Rescue Mission was definitely an amazing experience to say the least. Not only did we get to help in the kitchen and serve food but we also got a tour of all five floors of the facility. The tour was amazing, however our tour guide was the true treat. Our tour guide was and currently is a resident at union rescue mission who had completely changed his life with the help of  Union Resucue Mission. He was knowledgeable and thorough with his tour of Union Resucue Mission and on top of that he was a true testament of the ability of the organization to help bring change in the lives of those who need it most.

When we were serving the food I was given the chance to hand the plates to men that were coming to get their meals. To be quiet honest I was scared out of my mind because I was the only one handing out the plates and most of the guys looked intimidating at first. When I began handing the plates to the men waiting in line, my fear subsided and at that point the barrier between us and them had diminished. It was now just us, each man that came by either said thank you, God bless, or I appreciate you and not only did it make me feel good it taught me a very valuable lesson.

 It is not that we are different, it is that I believed we we're different, we are all one body it is just our perception tricks us and tells us otherwise. For example we were not told that the chefs and individuals in the kitchen were part of URM's drug and alcohol rehabilitation program. To be completely honest if I was told this before we started working with them in the kitchen I would have looked at them differently, I was even surprised when they told us that they were in the program.   To me they were just true and genuinely kind people and I am so glad I got to work with them.

This trip to the Union Resucue mission truly changed my perspective and I am so glad we got the oppurtunity to build relationships with the individuals there. It changed my perspective, It rearranged my view and most importantly it opened my heart.

Love,
          Nicole and Daniel

Comments

  1. " Controversial Statement" some people really needs to wake, Sorry if i may sound rude, but the facts pains, https://drahmedherbalist.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts