Day One: Good Shepherd Convent

Today we visited the Good Shepherd Convant which marked the beginning of our time of service in LA. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the staff who informed us of the services they provide to mothers and their children. We followed that by splitting up into two groups: one painting a classroom and the others moving furniture. We took a break for lunch and enjoyed fellowship with one another and a staff member. Some of us even enjoyed a game of basketball and soccer with some of the kids. Our lunch was followed by moving a ton of clothes that were bagged up in a shed to a upstairs room ready for donations.

Abby’s reflection:
I typically prefer to do service where I can work directly with the people I’m helping. However, it was personally rewarding to do service that affected so many people that I didn’t expect to. The work we did today provided the staff with more opportunities to help the residents because they won’t have to focus on those small tasks over the next month or two. Knowing that we helped out in such a big way by doing jobs that I perceive as everyday easy tasks is the type of service work I’ve come to enjoy more. I realize now that helping even one person in any small way can have a lasting impact on many individuals by setting a chain reaction.

Knack’s Reflection:
Today was odd as it started because my job was moving furniture. As we gathered the books and saw each piece that made up the children’s classroom I relaxed. I was not focused on emptying space but creating room if you will. Knowing that it would have taken the staff about a month or two to complete what our group had done today was humbling. It creates a sense of accomplishment and honor within myself. I know I would easily and openly do that again if I were to be asked right now.

We headed back home in our respective groups and enjoyed one another’s company. We shared stories, card game, magic tricks, laughs, and smiles. We even made our first community dinner in the dark due to a power outage. As we blog together in this dark room, our hearts are open for what’s next and our minds remain excited for the days to follow. Please continue to keep us in your prayers as we continue serving the community here in LA.

Comments

Popular Posts